Did you know that what you eat can directly affect your mental health? Many foods increase anxiety! Whole foods which are unprocessed or minimally processed are excellent fuel for your brain and body. Below are listed some suggestions to get you started in taking control of your mental health.
Foods to Avoid or Limit: Sugars, artificial sweeteners, processed foods like pre-made doughs and cookies, non-dairy coffee creamers and flavorings, fried foods, fast food, alcohol and microwaved foods.
Foods to Enjoy: Dark leafy greens like spinach and other lettuces, Whole grains like rice, quinoa, oats, barley and others, Fresh fruits like berries, bananas, pineapples, watermelon, cherries, apples, and all citrus fruits, foods with healthy fats like cashews and other nuts, fish like salmon and tuna, grassfed meats like beef, turkey and chicken.
Healthy fats are so important as they are BRAIN food! Even the aromas of certain foods like all the citruses are considered happy smells and increase your feelings of JOY! Maybe you want to get some high quality orange and lemon essential oils to diffuse during the most high stress time of your day; check out www.seedtoseal.com for some info on what makes a quality essential oil. This week choose one of the following challenges to start improving your mental health. Tell us which one of the challenges you choose and how it went!
- Remove one bad food from your diet for the entire week and add one good food.
- Drink an extra glass of water with cut up lemons, limes or oranges in it each day.
- Eat an extra snack each day, but make it a healthy one.
- Eat one salad this week with 5 of the healthy foods.
- Meal plan one meal each day that is healthy and see how you feel in a week.